The Dress Rehearsal and Recital performances will take place at the BJCC Children’s (Mainstage) Theatre.
DRESS REHEARSAL : Friday, June 11, 2021
RECITAL PERFORMANCES: Saturday, June 12, 2021
If you need directions or parking information, you can print a map at www.bjcc.org. The closest entrance to the theater is from the 19th street parking lot. All performers must enter through the backstage door --look for Dance South signs. All others need to enter around the building at the main door theater entrance.
Parents assisting their dancer in the backstage dressing rooms and the dancer must have the backstage armband visible on recital day for admittance through the backstage door on the day of recital. This is a security measure we have in place for the safety of our dancers.
GENERAL RULES FOR REHEARSAL AND RECITAL
- NO FOOD OR DRINK is allowed in the theater seating area.
- Please turn off all cell phones to avoid distraction to the dancers on stage and to the audience seated around you.
- At no time shall a dancer enter the audience in costume or tap shoes. Please bring a cover-up, large shirt or wear the recital t-shirt.
- Do not enter the auditorium through the staging area.
- Entering and exiting the theater can only be done between dance numbers—NOTDURING A PERFORMANCE!
- If you are the adult responsible for costume changes for your dancer, please sit in the upper back theater seats since you will be entering/exiting the theater multiple times.
- No one should leave during a performance. Please plan on staying for the entire performance and ask all of your guests to stay until the finale as well. Our dancers have worked very hard and those with dances at the end of the show deserve the same audience as those at the beginning of the show.
- IF YOU NEED TO LEAVE THE RECITAL BEFORE IT IS OVER, PLEASE BE COURTEOUS AND SIT IN THE UPPER BACK SEATING AREA SO AS NOT TO DISTURB GUESTS STAYING FOR THE ENTIRE SHOW.
- Videos can only be taken during the Dress Rehearsal. Video cameras and cell phone video is PROHIBITED during the recital performances so as not to distract the dancers on stage or the guests seated around you. A professional video will be taken of each recital show and will be available for order/purchase in the theater lobby.
- Flash photography and videoing is PROHIBITED during the recital performances. You may take photos without a flash from your seat. Please do not walk to the stage to take pictures. This is dangerous for the dancers performing onstage as well as distracting to the guests around you trying to watch the show.
DRESS REHEARSAL: Friday, June 11, 2021
Dancers will need to arrive using the backstage door at the BJCC and proceed to their assigned dressing rooms (posted near the backstage door access on the day of Dress Rehearsal). Armbands and tickets ARE NOT REQUIRED for Dress Rehearsal.
Dancers should be dressed and ready in their costume for their first dance number 45 minutes prior to the designated start time on the rehearsal schedule so rehearsals can begin promptly. All students must stay in their dressing area until their time to perform. A stage mom or DS staff member will assist each class from the dressing room to the backstage area. The parent responsible for assisting their child should then proceed to the theater to watch their child’s rehearsal. Stage Moms may watch from the backstage area. After the first dance is complete, parents will need to go back to the dressing room to assist their child with the costume change for the next dance.
Once your child has completed their rehearsals, please collect all of their costumes, shoes and accessories. Costumes should NOT be worn outside the theater.
RECITAL PERFORMANCE: Saturday, June 12, 2021
Dancers will need to arrive using the backstage door at the BJCC and proceed to their assigned dressing room. Backstage armbands and reserved seat tickets ARE REQUIRED for the Recital. Only adults with an armband on their wrist will be allowed through the backstage door entrance and access to dressing rooms for security reasons. All other guests must enter the theater with an admission ticket through the main theater door entrance.
Dancers should be dressed and ready in their costume for their first recital dance number 45 minutes prior to their designated show start time. All students must stay in their dressing area until their time to perform.
A stage mom or DS staff member will assist each class from the dressing room to the backstage area. The parent responsible for assisting their child should then proceed to the theater to watch their child perform. After the first dance is complete, parents will need to go back to the dressing room to assist their child with the costume change for the next dance.
No running in the dressing area. This is dangerous especially with slippery tap shoes. While waiting in the dressing area and backstage, it is imperative that the children remain quiet so we do not disturb the performers on stage. Also, you need to be able to hear when your class is called to the stage.
- Bring ALL costumes, shoes and accessories to Dress Rehearsal and Recital. THERE ARE NO EXTRAS! All costumes, shoes and accessories need to be labeled with your child’s name. There will be many dancers sharing the same dressing room space.
- Make sure headpieces are secure so they will not fall off on stage.
- Please have plenty of bobby pins and safety pins. Straps must be on all ballet shoes.
- NO UNDERGARMENTS ARE TO BE WORN UNDER TIGHTS!
Recital Ticket Packages will be distributed to dancers whose accounts have been paid in full. If you have any questions or concerns about your account, please call the office at 678-4414 or login to your account online via the Dance South website www.dancesouth.com and use the “My Account” link. Dress Rehearsal and Recital days are not the time or place to discuss billing. The studio office will be closed on Friday, June 8th.
Each Recital Ticket Package will include the following:
Two (2) general admission tickets for all family/friends. If your family will not need all of your tickets, you may give them to other families. Additional tickets will be available for sale. Only CASH OR CHECKS CAN BE ACCEPTED FOR PAYMENT at the BJCC the day of the recital.
Two (2) BACKSTAGE ARMBANDS: On recital day only -- One of the armbands should be placed on your dancer’s costume bag and one should be worn by the person accompanying the dancer in the dressing rooms. THERE WILL BE NO ADMITTANCE TO THE BACKSTAGE /DRESSING ROOM AREA WITHOUT AN ARMBAND. DANCERS --DO NOT FORGET TO ATTACH THE ARMBAND TO YOUR BAG.
One (1) RECITAL PROGRAM BOOK COUPON: Please make sure to bring the blue coupon the day of recital and redeem it in the theater lobby. Extra program books will be available the day of the recital for a fee (cash/check only). Each Recital Ticket Package for families with additional dancers will include the following:
(1) additional armband for the additional dancer's bag for each additional dancer
(1) additional paper ticket for admission for a guest per additional dancer
(1) additional program book coupon per additional dancer
RECITAL T-SHIRT PICK-UP
Recital t-shirts can be picked up at Dress Rehearsal for anyone that pre-ordered and paid for the shirt. There will be a table set up in the theatre lobby for pick up of the shirts. A very limited amount of extra shirts will be avaiable for sale on a first come, first served basis. Please put your child’s name in the t-shirt, so they don’t get confused with all the others that will be in the dressing rooms!
SPECIALTY YEAR TROPHY: Each year at the end of the recital we present a trophy to students who have had five, ten or fifteen full years of dance. We recognize previous years of dance at other studios.
For the complimentary specialty year trophy, years of dance are defined as years of dance classes taken in a studio, not participation on a school dance team. If your child meets these qualifications, notify Dance South during picture week. A dancer that has non-studio dance (e.g. school dance team) can be recognized for a specialty year, but the parent must pay for the trophy.
PARTICITPATION TROPHY: If you are interested in ordering a participation trophy information will be provided during picture week. Participation trophies must be paid for in advance and may be picked up in the theatre lobby on the day of recital. A very limited number of extra participation trophies will be available for purchase the day of recital on a first come, first served basis.